Q: How long have you been with HCG? When did you start?
Todd: 2 years; I started May 16, 2016.
Q: What titles have you held throughout your time at HCG and when did you have those titles?
Todd: I hired in as Vice President of Operations, and I am currently in this role.
Q: What is your background in the construction industry (i.e. education, experience, previous employers)?
Todd: I began my career as a carpenter at the age of 18 as a means to pay for tuition to become a veterinarian. However, I quickly discovered my passion for construction and transferred to Michigan State University to pursue a degree in Building Construction Management, later completing my MBA at the University of Notre Dame. I’ve worked in numerous industries, private & public, on a myriad of projects ranging in value from $100,000 to $6 Billion. My experience includes: Hospitality, Residential, TI, Retail, Hospital, Light Industrial, Heavy Industrial, Food Service, Faith Based, Manufacturing, Chemical Processing, Pipeline, and Nuclear projects.
Q: What is the best thing about your job?
Todd: Our company culture, HCG doesn’t suffer from office politics. Everyone on our team is truly invested in HCG’s success and the success of their fellow employees. HCG is a Team…a family.
Q: What is the worst thing about your job?
Todd: Administrative functions sometimes take a disproportionate amount of time, often limiting my ability to spend time in the field with our Projects and Field personnel; the people that make HCG successful.
Q: If you could nominate anyone at HCG for “Employee of the Month”, who would it be and why?
Todd: Scott Brown. His energy and enthusiasm are contagious. Scott is 100% focused on finding solutions, never problems.
Q: Family life details:
Todd: Married to Martha Monk; 2 daughters: Paige (17), Megan (14). 2 death row rescue dogs Duke (age 7) & Gonzo (age 9). One rescue cat named Ru (age 6), found in Martha’s engine compartment when she was the size of a tennis ball.
Q: How do you spend your free time, away from work?
Todd: Kayaking, Camping, Snow Skiing, Attending Notre Dame Hockey games & restoring our 90 year old Tudor home.
Q: Are you involved in any community groups?
Todd: Yes, I am.
- Volunteer at Pet Refuge – a not-for-profit “no-kill” animal shelter run by volunteers for the placement of unwanted and abandoned pets into responsible permanent homes. My wife and I volunteer 4 – 6 hours a week cleaning kennels; feeding, walking & training the dogs; and doing whatever we can to help find these dogs find permanent homes.
- Board Member at NDSJV - The Notre Dame Club of Saint Joseph Valley (NDSJV) is the third largest of all Notre Dame clubs worldwide, our primary mission is to raise scholarship funds for deserving students from our area. The NDSJV Club distributes Notre Dame tuition assistance to students throughout the greater Michiana area, including north central Indiana and southwest lower Michigan.
Q: Can you share a fun fact about you, something interesting that others may not know?
Todd: I have 3 fun facts to share:
- I’ve been vegetarian for 40 years; vegan for 8 of those.
- X-Rays of my index finger with a 16 gauge framing nail through the knuckle have been used as training material for orthopedic doctors in Ann Arbor.
- Martha & I plan to retire in Costa Rica.